Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Happy Chinese New Year!

Gerrit and I had a great family home evening last night as we celebrated the Chinese new year with lots of friends and lanterns! A friend in our ward is from China and she invited several of us out last night to send up lanterns to celebrate the holiday. We each got a paper lantern and we wrote on it our wish for the new year. Then we lit the candle underneath, let the lantern fill with hot air, and sent it off--just like in Tangled! :) It was snowing/raining quite a bit so I was nervous that the lanterns wouldn't fly, but they did and it actually looked pretty cool with the snow. The wetness also protected against some potential problems, like when lit lanterns accidentally maneuvered their way into the trees. We had a great time learning a new tradition; and here's hoping our lantern wishes come true this year!





 




2 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures! I am reminded that some Chinese also celebrate by thoroughly cleaning their homes to ward off evil spirits and invite good fortune. The lanterns look like a slightly more enjoyable New Years tradition. Best wishes for you this year! Gōng Xǐ Fā Cái!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! Though I have never done that myself, I heard from my parents that same kind of tradition was there in India too. We used to call it 'Fanush'. But no personal experience so far.

    ReplyDelete